[Rpm-maint] Pruning self-dependencies?

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at redhat.com
Fri Jul 6 10:38:51 UTC 2007

On Fri, 6 Jul 2007, Florian Festi wrote:

> Panu Matilainen wrote:
>> On Mon, 2 Jul 2007, Ville Skyttä wrote:
>>>
>>> As for how many dependencies this would eliminate, running some quick
>>> queries
>>> [0] against the Fedora primary sqlite metadata database told me it'd be
>>> about
>>> 7.3% of all dependencies (9246/126066).  This is inaccurate (no versions
>>> in
>>> dependencies taken into account etc) but I think it should be the correct
>>> order of magnitude.
>>
>> Actually much of the benefit would be gained by just having createrepo
>> > drop self-requires out of the metadata. That would have an immediate
>> benefit without requiring rebuilding the world. Of course you'd still be
>> downloading the dependency bloat in the rpm's themselves but now that yum
>> uses it's own depsolver doing this one the metadata level would already be
>> beneficial.
>>
>>     - Panu -
>
> Except of a potential C vs Python issue I see no reason why that should be
> the easier solution. Implementing it in rpmbuild would grant this benefit
> for everyone and not only yum users. Rpmbuild also has a much better chance
> to keep manually added requires.

I didn't say it shouldn't be done in rpmbuild, obviously that's where it
really belongs to.

*Additionally* filtering them out on metadata generation would benefit
existing users - apt and smart have done their own depsolving since day
one and would benefit immediately, and yum since 3.2.x (for older versions
it wouldn't matter much either way I think)