[Rpm-maint] Pruning self-dependencies?

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at redhat.com
Tue Jul 10 06:26:18 UTC 2007

On Mon, 9 Jul 2007, Mark Hatle wrote:

> You are forgetting that you can query per file dependencies in modern
> RPM produced packages.  If you prune self-provided dependencies you lose
> this information.
>
> --filerequires and --fileprovides.  Invaluable in my experience.

Heh, I'd never noticed rpm *had* such options...

I can see how those are useful for some purposes such as digging out where
exactly some dependency bloat comes from. Pruning self-requires wouldn't
affect the utility of that much I think.

This actually makes me think it'd be nice if there was a tool for running
the internal dependency generator on arbitrary files (outside rpmbuild) so
you could look at any file/filelist and see how rpm classifies them and
what dependencies it'll produce.

> There just is no reason to prune self-fulfilled dependencies.

Saving memory and bandwith is "no reason"?

Out of curiosity, what exactly do you use those --filerequire and
--fileprovide options for? Like said, I can see some purposes where they
can be useful but it's not like they're required for average every day
operation :)