[Rpm-maint] API Documentation for RPM

Paul Nasrat pnasrat at redhat.com
Mon Jul 30 09:10:53 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-07-30 at 00:10 +0530, Rogue wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I am trying to toy around with the idea of providing Java bindings for
> the RPM package. Now, I am good at my Java skills but my C skills are
> rusty and I thought I might hone them by trying out this project.

There are already several sets of java bindings you may want to look at
first:

Pure java - http://jrpm.sourceforge.net/
Pure java - http://www.freecompany.org/redline/index.html

Some NC students wrote a JNI binding as part of a summer project:

http://www.csc2.ncsu.edu/sdc/students/information/projects/s2k4.php

I think I have a copy of the above somewhere but will need to check.

> Now, could you please point in the direction of the devloper's guide to
> the RPM package.

Best bet is to look at the doxygen docs in the rpm-devel package. eg:

/usr/share/doc/rpm-devel-4.4.2.1/apidocs/html/

And the Red Hat RPM Guide has some C API examples:

http://docs.fedoraproject.org/drafts/rpm-guide-en/

Paul