[Rpm-maint] [Suse-patch] Revert provides as obsoletes behavior

Florian Festi ffesti at redhat.com
Mon Jun 11 13:58:28 UTC 2007

Hi!

I have had a look at the obsolete behavior topic from a RHEL perspective. I
checked all obsoletes in RHEL 3, 4  and 5 against the same and the previous
release and filtered all that match against provides. For the results see
the attachments.

Reading the problem descriptions I have the suspicion that the problem is
not that obsoletes match against provides but that rpm uses the obsolete
mechanism to do updates - to find the packages it needs to remove to be more
precise. This was fine as long as obsoletes just matched against pkg names
which is what the update should do, too. But with the "new" obsolete
behavior updates and obsoletes are different and should uses different code
paths.
If this is true (I have to admit that I did not look into the code) fixing
the update behavior would be the way to go IMHO and not altering the
actually unrelated obsolete handling.

Florian Festi