[Rpm-maint] [Suse-patch] Revert provides as obsoletes behavior

Michael Schroeder mls at suse.de
Tue Jun 12 17:28:54 UTC 2007

On Tue, Jun 12, 2007 at 04:06:44PM +0200, Tomas Mraz wrote:
> That's really debatable as the provides is M:N relationship - a package
> A might provide many virtual provides and after this update some of
> these provides might not be provided anymore by any package. So it
> surely can be argued both ways.

Yes, but that's exactly the point that I was trying to make: the
same is true for explicit obsoletes, so it does not make much sense
to treat them differently.
IMHO it should either be both look at the provides or neither, for
consistency reasons. But I also agree that just disabling the
provides for the implicit obsoletes solves most of the problems.

Cheers,
  Michael.

Michael Schroeder                                   mls at suse.de