[Rpm-maint] Rpm for multiple sub-systems

Wendy Palm wendy at cray.com
Thu Mar 15 22:27:49 UTC 2007

Our machines are designed with multiple sub-systems with cross-dependencies and we are looking at how rpm may be modified to be able to handle something like this, preferably with a single database.

For example, Cray ABC system is set up with x86_64 on subsystem A, x86_64 on subsystem B and ppc on subsystem C.  While the arch is the same for A and B, the packages of B may not be the same set as A, but will definitely have packages in common.  In order to install package X on subsystem A, package Y MUST be installed on subsystem C.  Currently, we are using seperate databases, chrooting into each environment and manually checking the cross-dependencies, and that's already too manually intensive and doesn't scale well.

We are debating whether this is possible with rpm alone at all, or something that someone may already be working on or at least thinking about.

Anyone have any ideas/comments?

thanks for your time,
Wendy

Wendy Palm