[Rpm-maint] Where to add new provides/dependency generator

Kyu Lee klee at redhat.com
Wed May 2 12:57:28 UTC 2007

Hi,

I've wrote a dependency/provides generator for OSGi jars. Now I'm trying
to make rpm use the scripts and wondering what's the best way to
integrate with all other generators.

I've noticed that

 %_use_internal_dependency_generator

is set to '1' as default in both

/usr/lib/rpm/macros and /usr/lib/rpm/redhat/macros

for Fedora Core 6 installation. From my understanding, this will make
rpm to just use 'rpmdeps' for dependency generation and won't use any
find-[provides,requires] scripts in neither directory(.../rpm
and /rpm/redhat).

Now, I tried to add $__osgi_[provides,requires] in macros, however this
won't work since 'rpmdeps' doesn't know how to determine if a file
(*.jar) is an OSGi jar or not.

Thus a solution I though about is modifying 'rpmdeps' to recognize OSGi
jars, so it can expand %__osgi_[provides,requires] macro and execute
it,

or

set %_use_internal_dependency_generator to 0 in redhat macros(I'll have
to ask our rpm packager if this is right move).

What is the best approach in adding a new dependency generator?

Thanks,

Kyu