[Rpm-maint] Where to add new provides/dependency generator

Paul Nasrat pnasrat at redhat.com
Thu May 3 09:09:03 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-05-02 at 08:57 -0400, Kyu Lee wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've wrote a dependency/provides generator for OSGi jars. Now I'm trying
> to make rpm use the scripts and wondering what's the best way to
> integrate with all other generators.

Could you attach it?

> Now, I tried to add $__osgi_[provides,requires] in macros, however this
> won't work since 'rpmdeps' doesn't know how to determine if a file
> (*.jar) is an OSGi jar or not.

Out of curious what is the mechanism to determine this? We use file(1)
atm - is there any additional magic or do you have to peek inside the
jar.  Can you point me at documentation of the OSGi format.

> Thus a solution I though about is modifying 'rpmdeps' to recognize OSGi
> jars, so it can expand %__osgi_[provides,requires] macro and execute
> it,

> set %_use_internal_dependency_generator to 0 in redhat macros(I'll have
> to ask our rpm packager if this is right move).

> What is the best approach in adding a new dependency generator?

This raises a good point, it should be easier to add classifiers and
helpers - without editing rpmfc.c.

Paul