[Rpm-maint] [Suse patch] Verbose lstat failure message in verification

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at redhat.com
Tue May 22 15:06:38 UTC 2007

On Tue, 22 May 2007, Michael Schroeder wrote:

> On Tue, May 22, 2007 at 03:24:00PM +0300, Panu Matilainen wrote:
>> I can't find any comment related to this in the suse rpm changelog,
>> anybody remember what the original case was?
>
> IIRC it was so that users that run the verify as *non-root* get
> a hint if the lstat() fails because the directory traversal fails.

Ah, that one... a former colleague used to complain bitterly about rpm
verification giving false information when run as non-root :) Warning the
user about verification failure being related to permissions certainly
makes sense.

> It would make sense to add the extra info only if errno != ENOENT.

Yup. I'm just still wondering if appending the error after the filename is
a good idea. Visually it's quite nice the way that way, I'm just worried
about scripts not expecting that. OTOH it's quite possible I simply worry
too much :)