[Rpm-maint] Error during rpmbuild

Tom "spot" Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Sat Nov 10 13:02:31 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-11-09 at 12:25 +0100, guillaume wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've made a software to retrace network activies. I want to create RPM
> of my project in order to put all my files scripts in a same document.
> Moreover, rpm permit me to check requires dependances of my project.
>
> I've installed on my computer rpmbuild, then I've create directories
> for building my own rpm. After that, I've built specs file like that:

A few comments:

> %define name metronet
> %define version 0.6
> %define release rc22%{?dist}

You really, really don't need to do this. If you fill in the "Name:"
"Version:" and "Release:" fields with these same values, rpm will
automatically set %{name}, %{version}, and %{release} for you.

> Source0: %{name}_SCRIPTS.tar.gz
> Source1: %{name}_WEB.tar.gz
>
> BuildRoot: /var/tmp/%{name}-%{version}-%{release}-root-buildroot
> Requires: postgresql >= 8.0 postgresql-devel postgresql-contrib
> postgresql-libs perl >= 5.8 httpd >= 2.0 php >= 5 php-pgsql
>
> %description
> metronet is a complete solution which can monitor big network like
> University Bordeaux2.
>
> %prep
> # Pour decompresser egalement archive secondaire
> %setup -q -a 1 -n "metronet"

You almost certainly want a %build and %install section here, even if
they're empty.

Just put:

%build
# Nothing here.

%install
rm -rf $RPM_BUILD_ROOT
#si le makefile installe rien
mkdir -p $RPM_BUILD_ROOT/%{_bindir}/

Also, you're not copying any files into %{_bindir}. You need to actually
tell it to do this. Something like:
install -m0755 foo $RPM_BUILD_ROOT/%{_bindir}/

> %files
> %defattr(-,root,root,755)
> /*
> %defattr(-,root,root,755)

You only need one %defattr line, at the top of the files list.
Also, you really shouldn't use "/*", as that will cause your rpm to own
every directory in the $RPM_BUILD_ROOT (including /usr/bin), when you
only want to own the files you've copied (and the new directories that
your rpm creates).

Instead, use a %files like this:

%files
%defattr(-,root,root,755)
%{_bindir}/foo

> %post
> mkdir /opt/metronet/
> #cp /%{name}-%{version}/* /opt/test/

Also, please never ever do this. You should never create directories or
files in %post, because the rpm database won't know that these files
belong to this package, and will not remove them when the package is
removed. Do all your file copying during %install, from the sources
provided, not from system files.

Hope that helps,

~spot