[Rpm-maint] Anybody using rpm solve database / --aid?

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at redhat.com
Thu Sep 20 07:12:07 UTC 2007

Anybody out there who would to miss the --aid option if it were gone?

Suse doesn't seem to ship with a "solve database" and neither does
RHEL/Fedora these days (we're not interested in distros released years ago
now), so obviously a very large userbase is surviving without it.

I've nothing against the idea of rpm (cli) giving intelligent suggestions
on missing dependencies, but as it stands, it requires installing and
updating a package that can easily be > 100MB just containing package
metadata and which will get outdated in a few days anyway...

The reason I'm asking is that the solve mechanism lacks a proper API for
accessing the suggestion information and requires mucking directly with
the transaction internals. In other words, it's getting in the way of
cleanups and needs either fixing or ripping out. It aint hard to fix but
if nobody's using it...

Distros seem to be doing fine without shipping a solve database, but do
people have local specialized uses for it?