[Rpm-maint] Anybody using rpm solve database / --aid?

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at laiskiainen.org
Thu Sep 20 18:22:33 UTC 2007

On Thu, 20 Sep 2007, R P Herrold wrote:

> On Thu, 20 Sep 2007, Panu Matilainen wrote:
>
>> Anybody out there who would to miss the --aid option if it were gone?
>>
>> Suse doesn't seem to ship with a "solve database" and neither does
>> RHEL/Fedora these days (we're not interested in distros released years ago
>> now), so obviously a very large userbase is surviving without it.
>
> *cough* Centos has and ships the db, of course, and it is useful in solving
> dependencies for packaging and build roots.

CentOS 5 doesn't have it either, only the older versions do.

> I would miss it if gone.

Ok, noted - this is why I asked in the first place...

> That a userbase survives without a something, would
> be like an argument by analogy, that we all should run Windows on the
> desktop, as most of the globe survives perfectly well without FOSS desktops.

If --aid were the only depsolving mechanism available, the users wouldn't
be surviving these days. Seriously. Like said, having rpm make good
suggestions on missing dependencies is a nice feature but the current
mechanism requiring a *huge* solve database that gets outdated as
soon as a single package is updated simply doesn't cut it.