[Rpm-maint] Anybody using rpm solve database / --aid?

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at laiskiainen.org
Thu Sep 20 19:11:37 UTC 2007

On Thu, 20 Sep 2007, Jason Corley wrote:

>> If --aid were the only depsolving mechanism available, the users wouldn't
>> be surviving these days. Seriously.
>
> Dunno, we did just fine with it way back when, perhaps users aren't
> what they used to be.

Well, people did fine with T-Ford's back then...

>> Like said, having rpm make good
>> suggestions on missing dependencies is a nice feature but the current
>> mechanism requiring a *huge* solve database that gets outdated as
>> soon as a single package is updated simply doesn't cut it.
>
> This statement assumes that the way the rpmdb-foo package was shipped
> by vendors was and is the only way to use the --aid functionality.  I
> doubt that's actually the case.

The way it's currently implemented it is the only way. In theory the
solvedb could be trimmed down in various ways and download sizes reduced
by deltarpms and whatnot, but that's not really the point.

Let me put it this way: there are far better tools to deal with
depsolving, arguments like these ain't going to save the solvedb. If you
want to save it, provide a real use-case (be it exceptional circumstances
or whatever) where the solvedb actually does the job better than a modern
depsolver of your choice.