[Rpm-maint] base package or devel package?

Pavol Rusnak prusnak at suse.cz
Thu Aug 28 10:01:08 UTC 2008

holmes86 wrote:
>     I am a make rpm newbie.I have a question now.when I was making rpm
> package,I don't know which parts are base package and which parts are
> devel package one? Is they any rule? thanks very much!

Rough explanation:

Assume project called foo, we could split into following packages:

* base package - foo
   - binaries (eg. /usr/bin/*)
   - documentation (could go into separate foo-doc if very large)
   - icons, desktop files, etc.

* shared library package - libfooXXX (XXX is .so major number eg libfoo3
for libfoo.so.3.24.3)
   - only library! (/usr/lib/libfooXXX.so.*)

* devel package - libfoo-devel (no XXX here)
   - .so symlink - /usr/lib/libfoo.so
   - includes - /usr/include/*
   - pkgconfig file - /usr/lib/pkg-config/*

We usually do not package .a or .la files (you could avoid building .a
with --disable-static passed to configure, you have to manually delete
.la files though).

Base package should require libfoo-devel and devel package should
require particular lib package (libfooXXX).

Hope that helps.

--
Best Regards / S pozdravom,

Pavol RUSNAK                                       SUSE LINUX, s.r.o
Package Maintainer                                Lihovarska 1060/12
PGP 0xA6917144                                     19000 Praha 9, CR
prusnak[at]suse.cz                                http://www.suse.cz