[Rpm-maint] Question about changing the name of an RPM

Nitzan Gurfinkel ngurfinkel at Narus.com
Wed Aug 20 21:45:58 UTC 2008

I hope I'm on the right lit and I apologize if not.

During the build process the RPMs get their names through the following Makefile line:

$(M4) -DBUILDNUMBER=$(BUILDNUMBER) -DUSERNAME=$(USERNAME) -DRELEASETEXT=$(RELEASETEXT) -I$(RPM_TMPL_DIR) $(EXTRA_M4DEFINES) $(PKGDIR)/$(RPM_TEMPLATE) > $(PKGDIR)/$(RPM_TEMPLATE:%.tmpl=%.spec)

The final name looks like: host-1.1.1.22222-pre.XXX.rpm

It turned out that there was a mistake in the build and $(RELEASETEXT) should not be "pre" but a different string.

Is it OK to rename the file, or does the $(RELEASETEXT) somehow internally integrated into the RPM and there is a need to build again?

Thanks,

Nitzan Gurfinkel
 Release & Build Manager
 Narus Inc.