[Rpm-maint] Removing repackage and (auto)rollback?

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at redhat.com
Tue Feb 19 08:45:06 UTC 2008

Before anybody asks: I actually do think that ultimately rpm should be
able to support reliably rolling back transactions. It's just that the
current repackage+rollback combo fails to deliver it, as there's no way to
undo script actions.

So... I'm considering axing the rollback and related code out of rpm, two
somewhat separate parts here:

1) Configurable repackaging of on-disk contents on erasure, manual
rollback from cli. While not terribly intrusive, it's in my view an
unsupportable feature because it fails to deliver reliable rollbacks and
cannot be fixed (because of the fundamental issue with scriptlets
doing things outside rpm's control).

2) Automatic rollback on failed transaction. Conceptually it's an awfully
nice feature, but as it's based on 1) which is unreliable to begin with...
To make matters worse, it's a feature that practically nobody uses, tests
or works on (James Oden who wrote the feature is in "the other rpm" camp
AFAIK) and which non-trivially complicates the transaction code for a
practically unused (and unusable) feature.

Me thinks it'd be more productive to investigate related items that could
be reliably implemented than attempt to "fix" what's fundamentally
broken...

Thoughts?