[Rpm-maint] Removing repackage and (auto)rollback?

Pixel pixel at mandriva.com
Thu Feb 21 10:04:45 UTC 2008

Panu Matilainen <pmatilai at redhat.com> writes:

> Before anybody asks: I actually do think that ultimately rpm should be able to
> support reliably rolling back transactions. It's just that the current
> repackage+rollback combo fails to deliver it, as there's no way to undo script
> actions.

for info, some Mandriva users are using the feature (see quotes
below), but still, Mandriva is not pushing it strongly, and dropping
it would not be a big loss.

> anyone using repackage/rollback in rpm?

sometimes.
often broken (generating broken packages in /var/spool/repackage with
buggy CRC (mismatch between old & new packages' content & CRC?)

> anyone using urpmi --repackage or urpmi.recover?

I _once_ used --repackage. Never used urpmi.recover
Rick James (until recently working with me on the forums, now doing it
on a volunteer basis) uses urpmi.recover regularly and encourages users
to use it. See http://forum.mandriva.com/viewtopic.php?p=439429 , for
example. Another forum member, K Bergen, has made references to using
it: see http://forum.mandriva.com/viewtopic.php?p=403897 . Other users
who have been referred to the tool by these two have expressed an
interest in trying it. I remember yesterday someone mentioning that
they'd tried to use it but had it fail three times.

Based on the above I'd say there's clearly a demand for urpmi.recover ,
and a non-zero quantity of people using it right now.