[Rpm-maint] Re: [packaging] RFC: Berlin Packaging API

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Thu Feb 28 00:09:17 UTC 2008

On Wed, Feb 27, 2008 at 4:02 PM, Wichmann, Mats D
<mats.d.wichmann at intel.com> wrote:
>  But I agree with your sentiments personally, and don't see
>  why we shouldn't consider that question too.  Any suggestions
>  what might be proposed in this area, that wouldn't just get
>  rejected by the maintainers of the various packaging systems?

Yes.  Integrate support for Suse's metapackage format into
all distros via PackageKit.  I don't know if that'll fly,
but it's the best hope I can see.

If we can make the standard packaging options slick enough,
it might start convincing a few of the holdouts that
still think they need their own installers.
- Dan