[Rpm-maint] Re: [packaging] [lsb-discuss] RFC: Berlin Packaging API

Andy Hamberger andreas at linux.co.nz
Thu Feb 28 14:36:31 UTC 2008

Dear colleagues,

On 2/29/08, Dan Kegel <dank at kegel.com> wrote:
> <robert.schweikert at mathworks.com> wrote:
> >  ISVs MUST have the option to let their customers
> >  install an application without root access.

ISV's do not give a rats ass about root access. They want more items
being sold than their competitor.

> >  Being able to tell the underlying system what is being installed and
> >  where it is being installed is a convenience for the user and/or the
> >  system administrator.
>
> Apps that are installed without root access should not
> be announced to the package manager.  I must not be
> understanding what you're saying.

Understanding comes through transcending oneself. As trippy as it
sounds, when it comes to package management one unified vision for the
customer(user) to have the best UI experience is what drives the
underlying system currently, yet the whole underlying handing of
identical linux code needs to be sorted. Regardless of package
management or binary compilation. The current status of disparate
handing of underlying system calls need to be addressed .. let's get
on with understanding ....

Unify.

Andy