[Rpm-maint] Re: [lsb-discuss] [packaging] RFC: Berlin Packaging API

Jeff Licquia jeff at licquia.org
Thu Feb 28 17:16:26 UTC 2008

Dan Kegel wrote:
> Apps that are installed without root access should not
> be announced to the package manager.

Maybe, maybe not.

I agree that installs to the home directory should not report to the
system package manager.  But I've seen a number of systems for allowing
users to install to /usr/local or /opt, usually geared at providing
pseudo-package-management in those directories.  If sysadmins are
willing to grant such privileges (and it's clear that some do), why not
allow them to report the results to rpm/dpkg?

We could implement this as an independent clearinghouse for conflict
avoidance, sure.  But the tool would either have to know how to check
the system package manager, or the system package manager would have to
report in as well.  It was my thought that the package manager already
does this, and that the code makes the most sense there, but it's worth
asking if this should be a third-party app.