[Rpm-maint] Automatic BuildRoot by default?

Per Øyvind Karlsen pkarlsen at rpm5.org
Thu Jun 12 16:11:53 UTC 2008

On Thursday 12 June 2008 17:14:12 you wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-06-12 at 16:31 +0200, Per Øyvind Karlsen wrote:
> > Better wear your helmet on both the inside and outside of the
house,
> > just in case..
>
> Careful, crazy is contagious. *cough*
>
> In all seriousness, I'm not convinced that the benefits of
> --short-circuit are worth the many many people who attempt to
abuse it.
> A good spec should be able to build from beginning to end without
having
> to be short-circuited. We aggressively discourage it in Fedora.
>
> ~spot
Not sure what world you live in, but I've never experienced any
problems with such "abuse", nor am I even sure about what lies with
that definition in this context.

Packagers don't want to a full rebuild of huge packages just to  test
just even the most minor change made etc.
And regardless of usage, it's not rpm's job to dictate and enforce
such policies in rather futile attempts to prevent "abuse" within it's
world where the user has far worse thing they can do ie. just within
the spec.
For dictating policies and such, it's better left to tools like rpmlint..