[Rpm-maint] Inconsistency between RPMTAG_Summary and %{SUMMARY}

Peter Bowen pzb at novell.com
Sat Jun 21 11:33:33 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-06-20 at 13:50 -0700, learny wrote:
> I have encountered an issue regarding the Summary field and
> headerGetEntry() in rpm 4.4.2-37.el5.  The string returned from the
> command-line differ from those of the API for the Summary for one
> package.  While the difference are relatively trivial, I thought it
> worthy a question to the mailing list.  Specifically, I have observed
> this only on RHED 5.0 only for the package cpuspeed.  Other packages
> on this system do not exhibit this behavior, nor has this problem
> occurred on my testing of other RPM-based systems of the SuSE variety.
>
> I had just assumed that the command-line query tag of %{SUMMARY} maps
> to the API entry for RPMTAG_SUMMARY; however, this appears to not be
> the case.  Is this a known issue and/or is there documentation on
> this?

I suspect you are running into a translated string.  If you set your
environment to not specify a language, do you still see the issue?

While most programs are assumed to be have US English text as the
default, it is possible to have a US English transation associated with
the string.  I suspect in this case "CPU frequency adjusting daemon. "
is in the RPM header as the "C" (untranslated) string and "CPU frequency
adjusting daemon" is in the header or look-aside list as the string that
matches your language.

Thanks.
Peter