[Rpm-maint] Shortcut on desktop

Florian Festi ffesti at redhat.com
Wed May 7 11:27:18 UTC 2008

aneeskA wrote:
> Hi all,
>
>     Yet another question regarding placing a shortcut on the desktop
> of the user who is installing the package. While writing the spec file
> I found out that you can use the environment variable $HOME in
> %install section. But when it comes to listing the files in the
> distribution in the %files section, i cant use the $HOME. any one has
> any idea how can i do that so that i can copy a *.desktop file to the
> user's desktop which will ultimately solve my problem.
>
>     Any help highly appreciated.
There is a very simple reason why this is not possible: Linux is a
multiuser system. What ever problem you are trying to solve putting
files into the user directorIES is not the solution. Even if you could
put a file "on the desktop of the user who is installing the package" it
would end on the desktop of the "root" user. So you won't win anything
with this approach.

Consider putting a short cut into the Applications menu or describe the
problem you are actually interested in more detail.

Florian