[Rpm-maint] New RPM seems to be much more aggressive about stripping binaries

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Mon Sep 1 22:10:31 UTC 2008

I don't know if this is the new version of RPM in Fedora Rawhide, or
just coincidence, but recently I've noticed that RPM has become even
more aggressive about stripping binaries.

However, stripping binaries sometimes breaks them, so this is not
welcome (or at least there should be a simple way to disable this).

  http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/OCaml#Stripping_binaries
  https://lists.dulug.duke.edu/pipermail/rpm-maint/2008-August/001087.html

At the moment the only way I can find to disable it is:

  %define __os_install_post /usr/lib/rpm/brp-compress %{nil}

which is certainly taking a very big hammer to crack a small nut.  Is
there an easier way?

Rich.

http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-p2v