[Rpm-maint] %logfile option for filelists

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at laiskiainen.org
Wed Dec 2 11:12:09 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2 Dec 2009, Florian Festi wrote:

> On 12/01/2009 06:25 PM, Seth Vidal wrote:
>> Now, that behavior of %ghost is correct for logfiles - but not always
>> correct for other files. I was thinking if we had a %logfile option so
>> those files did not get removed when the pkg was erased and treat %ghost
>> files differently.
> Changing the behavior of an already existing tag is very unlikely to happen.
> You better come up with a new name for the behavior you want to give to the
> %ghost tag.

Yup, we cant go changing semantics of widely used "tags" just like that.
Never mind %ghost semantics are muddy in various ways, but if we need
something else then it needs to be a new "tag" and it should be named for
what it does, not a single class of possible use-cases.

Maybe it would be useful/helpful to have helper macros to "document"
some of the more common special cases like logfiles, so instead of
   %ghost <... other noverify etc attrs...> /var/log/foo.log
you could write
   %logfile /var/log/foo.log