[Rpm-maint] RPM 4.7.0 beta1 available

Per Øyvind Karlsen pkarlsen at rpm5.org
Mon Mar 9 15:03:34 UTC 2009

2009/3/9 Mark Rosenstand <rosenstand at gmail.com>

> Hi Panu,
>
> On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 6:10 PM, Panu Matilainen <pmatilai at redhat.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > Didn't expect a new version this soon? Frankly, we didn't either :)
> > In the months that RPM 4.6.0 spent in stabilization phase of numerous
> > release candidates we had plenty of time to work on new things, and as
> > things have been fairly stable for a while now, it started looking like a
> > good time to cut out a release.
>
> >From my limited testing I've run into two minor problems:
>
> If RPM is not already present on the build host, the platform
> directories are created
> unexpanded, i.e. literally /usr/lib/rpm/platform/%{_arch}-%{_os} and
> /usr/lib/rpm/platform/noarch-%{_os}
>
> If the xz utilities and library is present on the build host, there
> doesn't seem to
> be any way to disable the use of them in RPM, and RPM won't build against
> the xz 4.999.8beta running here. But this was also the case for 4.6.0.
>
> Thanks for tidying up RPM with each release :-)

I've already posted patches for fixing this and other lzma/xz issues to the
list
earlier..
IMO it might be just as good that the lzma support were ~broken since it
would've
introduced incompatibilities with both rpm5, opensuse & mandriva due to
versioning used on 'PayloadIsLzma' feature provides/requires.. (it's even
also incompatible with what's in rpm 4.7.0 since there it's using xz format
for
the same payload where 4.6.0 uses lzma_alone)

See my patches posted to this list in janaury which fixes issues with
compatibility,
api breakage and introduces parallel xz payload support..

(You'll even find some more improvements in rpm5.org HEAD since)
--
Regards,
Per Øyvind