[Rpm-maint] Turning off rpmlib(FileDigests)?

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Mon Nov 23 17:30:33 UTC 2009

On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 12:48:22PM +0200, Panu Matilainen wrote:
> On Mon, 23 Nov 2009, Axel Thimm wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >
> >releated to my previous post: Since I cannot use RHEL5's rpmbuild to
> >package symlinks and the package in question is a cross-distribution
> >package anyway (it just has two dangling symlinks as selectors to
> >dependencies), I built it with F11/F12's rpmbuild.
> >
> >But this adds a dependency on rpmlib(FileDigests), and therefore the
> >package does not work on RHEL5 and older.
> >
> >Is there a way to turn this off? Similar to the
> > rpm \
> > --define "_source_payload       w9.gzdio" \
> > --define "_binary_payload       w9.gzdio" \
> > --define "_source_filedigest_algorithm  1" \
> > --define "_binary_filedigest_algorithm  1" \
> >trick to get old-style hashes and compression for use on older rpm
> >systems?
>
> Um, the above "trick" wrt source/binary filedigest algorithms is
> exactly what avoids the rpmlib(FileDigest) dependency :)

Ouch, I probably should had done some better testing, looks like I was
using them only for src.rpm generation.

> Just note those macros only have effect at build-time, so
> s/rpm/rpmbuild/ in the above.

Also true, the lines above were a fast cut & paste.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net