[Rpm-maint] idea for new keyword: ObsoleteBy

Stanislav Brabec sbrabec at suse.cz
Thu Sep 3 15:40:21 UTC 2009

Seth Vidal wrote:

> > libfoo-mybranch.spec:
> > Version:    2.3
> > Provides:   libfoo = %{version}
> > ObsoleteBy: libfoo >= 2.4
> >
> > What do you think about such feature?
>
> What does this get you that isn't already handled by 'Obsoletes'?
>
> If you're introducing a pkg later why not put 'Obsoletes' in it?

As an author of a private libfoo-mybranch, I don't want to modify the
mainline libfoo package.

This concept may be usable for installation of packages from different
sources: mainline + my addon.

Now I have no chance to terminate packages in my addon, when all
features were upstreamed. Package manager auto-updates always tries to
update to the latest libfoo-mybranch. I have no chance to provide an
update, that terminates the support of libfoo-mybranch and offers users
to upgrade to the latest mainline libfoo.

Well, I have a very similar problem with Requires in openSUSE nowadays:

Mainline packages contains gnome-panel and banshee. gnome-panel does not
require banshee.

But if I install downstream gconf2-branding-openSUSE, which adds banshee
to the default gnome-panel configuration, then gnome-panel starts to
require banshee. I cannot add it directly to gnome-panel (because
mainline gnome-panel does not depend on banshee). I cannot add it to
gconf2-branding-openSUSE (if gconf2-branding-openSUSE is installed but
gnome-panel is not, I have to need to have banshee installed).

That is why a more generic feature may be:

If this package is installed, then it adds
Add Requires:/Provides:/Supplements:/Recommends:/Conflicts:... to
another package dependencies (if it exists).

--
Best Regards / S pozdravem,

Stanislav Brabec
software developer
SUSE LINUX, s. r. o.                          e-mail: sbrabec at suse.cz
Lihovarská 1060/12           tel: +420 284 028 966, +49 911 740538747
190 00 Praha 9                                  fax: +420 284 028 951
Czech Republic                                    http://www.suse.cz/