[Rpm-maint] idea for new keyword: ObsoleteBy

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Thu Sep 3 17:09:57 UTC 2009

On 09/03/2009 05:56 PM, Stanislav Brabec wrote:
> Mark Hatle wrote:
>> I believe conflicts has been used for this purpose in the past.  While it's not
>> an automatic replacement, it does alert the admin to remove the custom package,
>> and replace it with the distro package that is conflicting.
>
> It does not work.

But a "clever" choice of NEVR will likely work in most situations.

Also, what do you imagine to happen with your
ObsoletesBy: foo > 2.4
if the prediction of foo to replace your package doesn't apply?

E.g. image upstream or the distro decided to rename the package. Of
course, things like these don't happen too often, nevertheless they do
happen.

Ralf