[Rpm-maint] relicensing for Maximum RPM

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Mon Sep 7 17:49:08 UTC 2009

On Mon, Sep 07, 2009 at 12:38:24PM +0200, Florian Festi wrote:
> On 08/31/2009 10:42 PM, Karsten Wade wrote:

>>> It used to be in a Mercurial repository at http://hg.rpm.org/max-rpm but that
>>> doesn't seem to exist any more (I still have an old working clone from there).
>>> I suppose it's http://rpm.org/gitweb?p=max-rpm.git nowadays.

>>> Based on git logs, jbj has worked on it quite a bit as well.
>>>
> IANAL and have no clue about the US copyright laws but I'd assume
> that the copyright is by RHT and not the authors.

Only if he was employed by RHT during the time the work was done, and
that it was part of his work and not personal.  I find RHT tends to be
respectful of private projects, inventions, and rights.  In general,
you are right that employment contracts in the US tend to consider
such works 'for hire', so the rights stay with the employer.  IANAL,
just try to keep up with writer's rights. :)

Regardless, I'm going to ask Jeff out of courtesy, at the least, and
also because I think some of that work was done after he was
@redhat.com.

- Karsten
http://quaid.fedorapeople.org
AD0E0C41