[Rpm-maint] Commit fafd8090 (Dead code removal)

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at laiskiainen.org
Tue Apr 13 06:51:12 UTC 2010

On Mon, 12 Apr 2010, Michael Schroeder wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Regarding commit fafd80901c129659d4d0c1945f5922858f410ef7, please
> test if a refresh of a package which obsoletes itself works.

Well, the commit doesn't change any behavior, it just removes dead code
which hasn't been active in > 5 years. So if its broken, its been that way
for a long long time :)

> By "refresh" I mean the re-installation of an already installed
> package.
>
> i.e. if package A contains an "Obsoletes: A", try
>
>    rpm -i A.rpm
>    rpm -Uvv --oldpackage A.rpm
>
> A package refresh shouldn't run the uninstall scriplets (for
> whatever reason).

Hmm.. with current HEAD you get this:
[root at dhcp102 rpm]# ./rpm -Uvh --oldpackage
/home/pmatilai/rpmbuild/RPMS/noarch/obstest-self-0.1-1.noarch.rpm
error: Failed dependencies:
 	obstest-self is obsoleted by (installed) obstest-self-0.1-1.noarch

...which isn't very sensible - self-obsoletion is ignored on initial
install but not here.

OTOH: are there cases where self-obsoletes, or conflicts for that matter,
that actually match the package itself ever make any sense at all? At
least I can't think of any. Might be more productive to have rpmbuild
error out on such constructs: it almost certainly isn't what the packager
actually wants so it gets caught early and we dont have to worry about it
at runtime.