[Rpm-maint] RPM 4.9.0 alpha available

Michael Schroeder mls at suse.de
Mon Dec 20 17:07:06 UTC 2010

On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 07:13:38PM +0100, Michael Schroeder wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 11:44:53AM +0100, Michael Schroeder wrote:
> > - tilde support in version comparison
> > - triggers on provides instead of package names
> > - weak dependencies (basically just parsing them and storing them
> >   in the rpm header)
> > - defining some tag where yum/zypp/smart can store the reason
> >   why the package was installed (user selected/dragged in via
> >   dependencies), so that we can implement a "show me all unneeded
> >   packages" function
>
> Here's another one to discuss:
>
> - allow self-conflicts, like debian does. The use case is to
>   be able to say "only one of this may be installed". Example:

And here's another nice-to-have feature (christmas is near ;-) ):

- implement a way so that a directory may be replaced by
  a symlink to another directory.

This is something packagers seem to do often, it happens when
a directory gets moved for some reason and a compatibility symlink
is added. Currently you'll get an ugly "cpio error" message when
you try to install the rpm.

There is probably no sane way to solve the general "replace
directory with something else" problem, but the special case
"directory with symlink to directory" may be possible. Maybe
even "directory with symlink to *new* directory" is enough.

Cheers,
  Michael.

Michael Schroeder                                   mls at suse.de