[Rpm-maint] RPM 4.9.0 alpha available

Michael Schroeder mls at suse.de
Fri Nov 19 10:44:53 UTC 2010

On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 12:00:48PM +0200, Panu Matilainen wrote:
> We're closing in on another major RPM release, and compared to 4.7 and 4.8
> the number of changes is so much bigger that we're starting with an alpha
> release instead of going directly to beta, just in case.

As we're doing a major release, what are your thoughts on the
following features:

- tilde support in version comparison
- triggers on provides instead of package names
- weak dependencies (basically just parsing them and storing them
  in the rpm header)
- defining some tag where yum/zypp/smart can store the reason
  why the package was installed (user selected/dragged in via
  dependencies), so that we can implement a "show me all unneeded
  packages" function

Cheers,
  Michael.

Michael Schroeder                                   mls at suse.de