[Rpm-maint] RPM 4.9.0 alpha available

Michael Schroeder mls at suse.de
Thu Nov 25 10:28:39 UTC 2010

On Thu, Nov 25, 2010 at 10:48:08AM +0200, Panu Matilainen wrote:
> If you have time to look at the more than one tilde-case, then please do.

Okey, I'll send a patch later this day.

> As for the compatibility tracking and all that: looking at the options,
> it'd probably only create a much bigger mess than just slipping it in
> quietly. It's not as if meaning of '.' is getting redefined...

Agreed.

> > It would be much cleaner to put the "strong" versions in new tags.
>
> Okay, if you can live with a transition phase where the "strongness" moves
> to a separate tag from being a dsflag then lets put the
> strongness/priority-thingie to a new tag.
>
> Mm.. or do you mean having new RPMTAG_RECOMMENDS* etc triplets for the
> "strong" versions? Thats of course one option too.

Yes, that's what I meant. Makes 'rpm -q --recommends' a lot easier, too.

> I was thinking more of
> a new integer array tag that adds "priority" to each dependency, which
> could express more levels than just weak/strong hint. (and in theory,
> perhaps, could be used for hard requires too: eg if there's a dependency
> loop that needs cutting then prefer the higher priority dependency)

The current suggests/recommends has a clear semantics (at least in
the zypp stack): recommends are pre-selected, suggests are just
listed. I think making this more complicated will confuse users
even more.

> Also I seem to recall a discussion/comments regarding reverse obsoletes,
> where a package could declare itself being obsoleted by something else
> (ObsoletedBy: foo). I thought it was in the "problems" pages in rpm.org
> wiki but can't seem to find it...

Now that you mention it, I think one of our Czech developers
suggested that feature on the mailing list. But I don't remember
the use cases for that feature.

Cheers,
  Michael.

Michael Schroeder                                   mls at suse.de