[Rpm-maint] [RFC/PATCH] comparisons without release

James Antill james at fedoraproject.org
Mon Nov 29 18:10:25 UTC 2010

On Mon, 2010-11-29 at 18:11 +0100, Michael Schroeder wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 26, 2010 at 08:23:40PM +0100, Michael Schroeder wrote:
> > Having said that, the current behaviour seems to be quite broken.
> > Please explain the following:
> >
> >     Provides: foo > 1.2-1
> >     Requires: foo = 1.2      no match
> >
> >     Provides: foo >= 1.2-1
> >     Requires: foo = 1.2      matches

 I'm not sure what you mean by explain ... I assume you know why it's
doing what it's doing, so I guess you are saying "explain why we would
want it to do that"?

 To which I'd say, why would we want it to match on:

Provides: foo > 1.2
Conflicts: foo = 1.2-1

> > I think the attached patch (completely untested) may fix the issue,
> > but I'll have to it through some tests on Monday.
>
> Seems to work well (after a missing '}' is added). The patch changes
> exactly the following cases:

 One problem here is that, due to ancient bugs in rpm, when yum wants to
compare:

Provides: foo > 1.2-1
Requires: foo = 1.2

...it actually changes that to:

Provides: foo > 1.2
Requires: foo = 1.2

...before rpm even sees it. Does that still change?