[Rpm-maint] RPM 4.9 Release Timeline?

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at laiskiainen.org
Wed Oct 6 06:09:30 UTC 2010

On Tue, 5 Oct 2010, Ware, Ryan R wrote:

> Hello Everyone,

Hi,

> New here.  Looking through the RPM mail archives and web site, I wasn't able
> to find the answer to the question on my mind.

Oops, we even have the 4.8.0 roadmap still open despite having been
released many, many moons ago, never mind any new information... :-/ Will
fix.

> I'm trying to find out what the release timeline is for 4.9.  For the
> Mobile Simplified Security Framework (MSSF) that we want to release in
> MeeGo 1.2, we would like to utilize the plugin functionality that was
> created for SELinux.  We'd really rather not backport the changes to
> 4.8.1.
>
> Any rough timeframe would be helpful.

The idea is to a beta out in November and final in December / early
January, depending on how things go with the beta. So fairly soon in any
case.

Note however that the collections/plugins system has some open
questions/issues still and WILL change to some extent, and unless those
odds and ends get sorted out before the beta (which is of course what we
want, but time's getting a bit short), it'll be marked experimental in the
next release to allow room to make those changes in the nearish future. So
you'll want to proceed cautiously when planning / building something
fundamentally important on top of it right now.

Can you share some information on what are you planning to do with the
plugin functionality? Something akin to the SELinux plugin I presume?