[Rpm-maint] RPM 4.9.0 beta1 available

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at redhat.com
Wed Jan 26 14:09:08 UTC 2011

On 01/20/2011 11:58 AM, Michael Schroeder wrote:

> Hi Panu!
>
> On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 02:03:29PM +0200, Panu Matilainen wrote:
>> The X-mas season caused even more delays and distractions than I expected,
>> but finally 4.9.0 beta1 is here.
>
> Maybe I missied them, but I don't see commits for tilde support in
> versions and the "fix-no-release-version-compare-corner-cases"
> patch. Aren't they going to be in 4.9?

Sorry I haven't been clear on that: I'm planning on including them in
4.9, beta1 is mostly about shaking out any other regressions introduced
between 4.8 and 4.9 and there will be at least one beta/rc (probably
next week) before 4.9.0 final where these can be tested "separately".

> I've also attached two little patches from our code base you
> might want to pick up.
>
> The first one allows to create rpms with uncompressed payloads
> by setting the payloadformat to "ufdio"

Right, no problem with that. Consider it applied.

, the second one sets
> a "%_specfile" macro in the build so that people can do fancy
> specfile manipulation/data extraction in the build.

...but this doesn't sound like something I'd want to encourage. Specs
are messy enough as is without having them become self-aware ;) Surely
there must be better ways to communicate things to scripts than having
them grep/whatever over the spec - temporary files or whatever.