[Rpm-maint] Package replace implementation

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at laiskiainen.org
Thu Jun 9 05:34:34 UTC 2011

On 06/08/2011 06:49 PM, Michael Schroeder wrote:

> Hi,
>
> seeing the latest "replacepkgs" commits (030e54), I wonder if we
> should not drop that crazy refresh handling and simply use an
> uninstall element to erase the package.

Nod, I've been thinking of doing that for some time now. I did look at
it at some point (maybe last year) but can't remember what exactly
stopped me, there might've been something that made it harder than it
seems on the outset. Anyway, doing a reinstall/refresh just like it was
an regular update seems like a much saner way to handle it.

> Currently, rpm works different if the EVR of the to-be-installed
> package matches the installed package:
>
> foo-1-2 ->  foo-1.3   (upgrade)
>    - run prein/postin of foo-1.3
>    - run preun/postun of foo-1.2
>
> foo-1-2 ->  foo-1.1   (downgrade)
>    - run prein/postin of foo-1.1
>    - run preun/postun of foo-1.2
>
> foo->1.2 ->  foo-1.2  (replace)
>    - run prein/postin of foo-1.2
>    - does *not* run uninstall scriptlets or deinstall files no
>      longer in foo-1.2
>
> Why doesn't it run the uninstall scriptlets? What makes "same EVR"
> so special when the package content may be different nevertheless?

No idea what the original reason for this behavior is, or how much of it
is intentional and what's not. I've tried to keep it "like it always
was" but it's of course possible some subtle behavior changes have crept
in, hard to test when you don't even know what exactly it is /supposed/
to be doing wrt scriptlets and the like.

It is actually harmful too in some cases: since there's no clean way to
upgrade package architecture within the same evr (eg glibc-x.y-z.i386 ->
glibc-x.y-z.i686), you're forced to use --replacepkgs (and
--replacefiles) which can leave leftover files behind and in the glibc
case I'm thinking of (somewhere in RH bugzilla), this was rather fatal.