[Rpm-maint] alternative package

Gene Hightower gene at digilicious.com
Fri Jun 24 23:25:33 UTC 2011

I would like to make a package that is an alternative to a plain old
distribution supplied package.

I would like to be able to install this alternative package to replace
the original, but be able to switch back to the original package
replacing the alternative at some future time.

The "obsoletes" attribute ~would~ work for this purpose, if I was not
prevented from re-installing the original package later: i.e. if
obsoletes didn't turn into a hard "conflicts" type relationship.

Is there any way to do this with the current feature set of RPM?

Any interest in a new "alternative" attribute?