[Rpm-maint] Followup on Multiple ABI architectures

Jon Masters jcm at redhat.com
Wed Oct 19 17:17:29 UTC 2011

Folks,

I would like to come to some kind of resolution that works for us in the
Fedora ARM project, and continue the longer term planning for better
multiple ABI support, which it is clear won't be happening overnight.

It is my proposal that we temporarily carry the patch posted previously:

http://lists.rpm.org/pipermail/rpm-maint/2011-September/003078.html

Until such time as RPM has generic support for multiple ABIs. This is
very similar to that used in SPARC and so on, and we can conditionally
compile this away for builds that will target ARMv5, for example. I am
told it isn't worth reworking this to use HW_CAP (the existing stuff for
other architectures doesn't either) and that we might aswell leave the
current approach since it will eventually all get replaced anyway.

It's not my intention to shove this in now and forget about it, but we
need something from upstream for Fedora ARM, and there was previous
buy-in to carry this for the time being...can we do that please? :)

Jon.