[Rpm-maint] RPM 4.11.0 beta1 released

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at laiskiainen.org
Tue Dec 18 08:53:46 UTC 2012

On 12/18/2012 01:44 AM, Thierry Vignaud wrote:
> On 17 December 2012 17:25, Thierry Vignaud <thierry.vignaud at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Humm, the new pool API has side effects.
>> There was a bug in URPM where it would sometimes create empty transactions.
>> With previous releases of rpm, that was harmless but now rpm abort with:
>>
>> perl: rpmal.c:98: rpmalCreate: Assertion `pool != ((void *)0)' failed.
>
> (...)
>
>> I've fixed the underneath bug in URPM but I think it would be better
>> not to fail in such a way.
>> It's not a "regression" that would affect lot of users but it may
>> break other package managers.
>> It would be better to return if no packages has been added to the transaction.

It's a regression alright, it affects rpm itself as well in some corner
cases. rpmtsRun() explicitly handles the empty transaction as a
non-error but the development-time safe-guard assert() triggers on
rpmtsCheck() / rpmtsOrder(). Will fix before 4.11 final.

> Eg, for the record, this is breaking perl-RPM4 too...

Out of curiosity, how/why exactly is it breaking perl-RPM4?

P.S. Please check and trim CC's as appropriate when using reply-all, eg
rpm-announce is for announcements only.