[Rpm-maint] [REQUEST] new release of rpm-4.9.x branch

Thierry Vignaud thierry.vignaud at gmail.com
Tue Mar 13 15:26:33 UTC 2012

On 13 March 2012 11:18, Panu Matilainen <pmatilai at laiskiainen.org> wrote:
> The intent has always been to make maintenance releases for the current
> stable release every few months, but you know how it goes with good
> intentions... The gaps (and the releases) have gotten bigger and bigger as
> time has gone by, and as more and more stuff gets fixed in a single release,
> the bigger the chance for regressions comes.
>
> Would people prefer having smaller rpm bugfix releases, more often? Putting
> out releases, even small ones, involves certain amount of extra effort to
> prepare release notes and all, so it's not something I'd do "just for fun."
> But if rebasing to minor rpm versions more often is something that distro
> maintainers would prefer and see as a useful thing...

I would prefer this.
Else we'll miss important fixes such as:
- fix memory corruption on rpmdb size estimation (#766260)
- switch back to smaller BDB cache default (#752897)

I think most of us (distro maintainers) see announces or receive automatic
reports about new releases but we don't track fedora releases about
"rpm" fedora package.

I think this would help more people, make sure fixes land to
everybody and let a chance for distros to upstream their fixes.

My 2 cents [american or euro at your convenience :-)]