[Rpm-maint] Small patch to reverse hardlink ordering

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at laiskiainen.org
Fri May 4 06:19:17 UTC 2012

On 05/03/2012 12:49 PM, Michael Schroeder wrote:

> Hi Panu et al,
>
> Here's a small patch that changes the ordering used for putting
> hardlinked files into the cpio archive back to lexicographical.
>
> You might wonder what this is about. Well, old rpm-3 (and
> also old versions of rpm-4, I think) already used lexicographical
> ordering for files and hardlinks. When deltarpm was created,
> it made use of this fact when "compressing" the file order
> of the cpio archive into the so-called "sequence". Deltarpm
> can deal with "out of order" files, but in that case it needs
> to reset the compression, which leads to really long sequence
> strings.

It'd be interesting (call it morbid curiosity if you like :) to know
when and especially why the order got changed, ie whether it was just an
unintentional side-effect from refactoring or actually intentional for
some reason. But if it's more than a few years old, probably not worth
the pain trying to hunt it down.

Anyway... applied, thanks for the patch. I suppose this should go to
4.10 too?