[Rpm-maint] rpm --verify and replaced files

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at laiskiainen.org
Tue Apr 9 05:32:57 UTC 2013

On 04/08/2013 03:00 PM, Michael Schroeder wrote:

> Hi fellow rpm hackers,
>
> as this comes up from time to time in our bugzilla:
>
> What's the point of not showing replaced files in 'rpm --verify'?
> I thought it is done this way so that multilib replacements are
> not reported as errors, but they have their own file state
> (RPMFILE_STATE_WRONGCOLOR).

It's a fair question... verification of files with non-regular state was
always more than a little bit fishy. The situation is somewhat improved
in rpm >= 4.9.x in that it now tries to verify at least some aspects of
files with non-regular state but its not much.

> Files have been replaced and the package is broken, but rpm does not
> report anything when verifying the package? Just because another
> package was installed with '--force'?

I suppose the idea has been not to complain when its "known broken", ie
installed with --replacefiles or --force. The kinda legitimate use-case
for that would be replacing %config files from another package, for
everything else forced files pretty much of course equals broken
package. I agree it would be good to somehow note this in the --verify
output, but since the verification output is the way it is... ideas welcome.

One possibility might be adding another "field" to the output where any
non-regular state is shown as a one-letter abbreviation (such as R for
replaced, W for wrongcolor etc).