[Rpm-maint] better way to port packages to new architectures

Pavel Raiskup praiskup at redhat.com
Mon Apr 8 08:21:34 UTC 2013

> On my rawhide box, the config.sub from rpm-build and automake-1.13 seem
> to support aarch64 already whereas the ones provided by libtool,
> redhat-rpm-config, and older automakes do not.

I would suggest to use automake's version also.  It is the place where the
config.{guess,sub} files come originally from during autoconf phase (more
accurate during the automake --add-missing run).  This should be also the
most up2date.

I could probably try to prepare special package like other distros have
having only the config.guess/config.sub payload (handly synced with
upstream git).  If you would like this package as source for rpm, let me
know.

move the work with these scripts to autoconf:

  http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/automake/2013-04/msg00007.html

So this is most likely going to be solved in future, but in the meantime
the rpm is good place to workaround upstream issues as it costs a little
of work.

> The autoconf package installs the config.{sub,guess}.1 man page but no
> config.{sub,guess} -- is that intentionally?

That is as upstream deals with these files.  Manual pages are in autoconf
upstream tarball and config.guess/sub in automake.

I observe that there are general intentions to move files from one package
to another in autotools to place these files to more logical place (and
for config.guess/sub files is autoconf more logical imo) - so this may be
also the case (but still only the man page is moved).

Pavel