[Rpm-maint] Reverse dependencies

Vít Ondruch vondruch at redhat.com
Fri Apr 12 12:00:25 UTC 2013

Dne 12.4.2013 13:53, Vít Ondruch napsal(a):

> We are able to ensure, the either one or both Ruby implementations
> will be installed on the system using virtual provide, such as
> "Requires: ruby(release)", but in RPM there is currently no way how to
> specify, that rubygem-nokogiri-mri must be available for
> rubygem-nokogiri to work properly, if MRI Ruby are installed on the
> system. I can imagine, that something like "Requires: jruby &&
> rubygem-nokogiri-jruby" and "Requires: ruby && rubygem-nokogiri-mri".

I'd like to fork this thread immediately to pledge for Reverse
dependencies mentioned in the presentation (slide 6/7 [2]). They are
more advanced case for AND dependencies IMO. Let me give you and example.

I want to get into Fedora another Ruby implementation, such as Rubinius
and I want to share all the gems. However, there is this
rubygem-nokogiri, which will not work, unless it will be properly
modified. However, it there would be reverse dependencies supported, I
could prepare package rubygem-nokogiri-rubinius, which would provide the
bindings for Rubinius, if both, rubygem-nokogiri and rubinius packages
would be installed on my system. I would not need to bother
rubygem-nokogiri package maintainer to get support for Rubinius.

It seems that libsolv can handle such cases, so what is reason for RPM
to not support the reverse dependencies metadata?

Thank you

Vít

[1] http://www.devconf.cz/slides/mls-pkgmgmt2.pdf