[Rpm-maint] Large file support

Michael Schroeder mls at suse.de
Fri Apr 19 09:01:35 UTC 2013

On Fri, Apr 19, 2013 at 04:21:35PM +0900, Florian Festi wrote:
> Here is the first version of a patch set adding large file support to
> RPM. It uses a own file format that is in the spirit of cpio but only
> contains the file number and file size in the header - omitting all
> other meta data. With a bit more thought may be even these two pieces of
> data might be omitted.
>
> Right now there is no way to switch between the two formats. Packages
> with large files are generated with the new format.

Do all files in the cpio archive use the new format or just the
files > 4G? I.e. can cpio extract all of the small files and just
skip the big ones?

> The new format will fail rpm2cpio. In the long run we need a new tool
> converting rpm packages into more modern archive formats.

If we limit ourselfs to a subset of the spec, switching over
to the tar format should not be hard.

Cheers,
  Michael.

Michael Schroeder                                   mls at suse.de
SUSE LINUX Products GmbH,  GF Jeff Hawn, HRB 16746 AG Nuernberg