[Rpm-maint] Rpm Database musings

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at laiskiainen.org
Fri Apr 19 09:08:42 UTC 2013

On 04/18/2013 03:50 PM, Michael Schroeder wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 18, 2013 at 03:30:52PM +0300, Panu Matilainen wrote:
>> BTW there seems to be a bug in newrpmdb, related to the pkgidx/datidx
>> handling for the cases where ovldata is non-zero. It's masked by a
>> typo/thinko in the testit.c header data size calculation:
>
> Yes, the ent + idxdb->nslots * 8 is completely wrong. Fixing...

Thanks, things are looking much better now. Quite good even, considering
what a quick and dirty hack the glue-code on rpm side is at the moment:

My local newrpmdb test-branch can now do a full 'rpmdb --importdb',
perform installations and the test-suite is down to just two failures.
At least the other one is just missing glue-code to handle the the case
of "get all package id's from an index", the other one might well be
related to that too.

I've only timed --importdb so far but amusingly enough, newrpmdb is
considerably faster there than BDB, even in the very rough and
non-optimal state of things. For my test-case of --importdb of 2197
packages:

For non-fsynced version (as is normally the case with --importdb):
newrpmdb: ~4.8s
bdb: ~7.7s

When fsync is forced, newrpmdb took 2m 42s on one run. With BDB I ran
out of patience around nine minutes mark. Based on Packages size it was
somewhere around 60-70% at that point...