[Rpm-maint] The usage of basename()

Kamil Rytarowski n54 at gmx.com
Sun Aug 18 15:19:49 UTC 2013

Hello,

There are two main implementations of basename() in the GNU system, one is libgen.h and one from string.h (being accessible here as _GNU_SOURCE). Currently we do not support systems other than with GNU Lib C (except possible compatibility layers), because we assume the basename() is shipped with string.h.

There is a fundamental question before adding a header of libgen.h: the POSIX standard explicitly allows to modify the input -- is it acceptable?

Should be there a rewriten a xbasename() version of this function to make sure it's portable across systems?

Regards,