[Rpm-maint] RPM 4.11.0 beta1 released

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at laiskiainen.org
Fri Jan 25 11:25:20 UTC 2013

On 01/16/2013 10:09 PM, Thierry Vignaud wrote:
> On 11 December 2012 10:48, Panu Matilainen <pmatilai at redhat.com> wrote:
>> As nothing out of the ordinary has come up, here comes 4.11 beta, well on
>> schedule. There aren't any big changes since alpha, just various minor
>> tweaks and fixes here and there, including those that went into 4.10.2.
>> Here's a brief summary of changes between 4.11 alpha and beta:
>>
>> - Fix signature checking (regression introduced in 4.10.0)
>> - Fix --setperms (regression introduced in 4.10.0)
>> - Fix double-free on %caps in spec (regression introduced in 4.11 alpha)
>> - Fix rpm2cpio.sh locale dependent behavior (breakage) with gawk >= 4.0
>> - Fix disk-space accounting wrt intermediate space requirement during
>>    transaction on update and forced replace
>> - Fix disk-space accounting wrt inodes (broken since forever)
>> - Fix special %license files not getting marked as RPMFILE_LICENSE
>> - Add --undefine cli-switch for undefining macros from the cli
>> - Add --licensefiles cli-switch for querying license files
>> - Add $RPM_CONFIGDIR/macros.d/ directory to default macro path
>> - Various NSS-related cleanups and minor improvements
>>

>> As usual, the full details and download information can be found in the
>> (draft) release notes at http://rpm.org/wiki/Releases/4.11.0
>
> BTW the draft release notes claims there was no API breakage but the removal of
> RPMFILE_EXCLUDE & RPMFILE_UNPATCHED defines did need patching URPM & RPM4.
>
> You may want to notice that a couple old obsolete defines were drop.

Hmm, right... I dont really know how to classify this kind of "breakage"
:) Those dropped RPMFILE_* flags have only been useful in the internals
of librpmbuild really, I dont quite see how any API consumer could've
actually *used* them for anything at all. But of course if eg language
bindings have defined symbols for them anyway (they appeared to be
public so...), compliation does now break, despite the actual library
interfaces not changing.

Thanks for the reminder, I'll either add a release note about it or
(partially) revert the change.